bpa levels skyrocket after eating canned soup - polycarbonate plastic
A new study from Harvard University shows that the amount of BPA in the body that eats canned soup has soared by 1,221.
"There are very few cans made," said lead author Dr . "
Jenny Carwile told The Star on Wednesday.
"They have not been discovered recently. Now they are.
Canada ban "with bisphenol
A was in polycarbonate plastic baby bottles on 2008, and BPA was declared toxic on 2010.
Most major manufacturers have now replaced BPA in baby bottles and baby sipping cups.
Half of the 75 volunteers at Harvard's School of Public Health ate 12 ounces each (354 mL)
Five days of canned soup for lunch each day, and the other half for fresh soup without canned ingredients. After a two-
Their system was "washed" for a day and they switched.
The urine test of the person who ate the canned soup found double phenol-
The study said it was 13 times higher than when they ate fresh soup, an increase of 1,221.
According to Carwile, the Harvard study was the first "quantitative exposure source" study. Bisphenol-
A is A synthetic chemical that has been used for decades to harden the plastic and as A resin liner for keeping food and beverages in cans.
It is found to destroy estrogen levels in animals and is associated with cardiovascular disease and diabetes in humans.
The US chemical commission has long been controversial about the health and safety of BPA and believes that only large-scale contact can be finalized as harmful.
In the Council's view, most of the chemicals in the human body were quickly washed away.
The commission said there would be no cheap, convenient canned food and plastic products without BPA.
"I appreciate that canned food is both convenient and cheap," Carwile said . ".
"But consumers need to know what they are exposed.
According to the study, the levels of BPA in people who eat canned soup have remained at a high level.
"This study is not about a brand of canned soup, but about canned food.
"A 2009 study led by Carwile found that among volunteers who drank polycarbonate plastic bottles within a week, BPA levels in urine increased by 66.
Another study published last month by Harvard University, Cincinnati Children's Hospital, and Simon Fraser University in Vancouver found that exposure to BPA in the uterus before the age of 3 increased girls' behavioral problems.
"There is no hope," union Ontario
In 2010, the public health group's US test of randomly selected canned foods found that the BPA content in the samples was high regardless of the price or organic content.